Coronavirus tips: Symptoms and prevention
People may be sick with the virus for 1 to 14 days before developing symptoms. The most common symptoms of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment.
More rarely, the disease can be serious and even fatal. Older people, and people with other medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), may be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill.
People may experience:
- difficulty in breathing (severe cases)
There’s currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
You can protect yourself and help prevent spreading the virus to others if you:
- Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
- Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid close contact (1 meter or 3 feet) with people who are unwell
- Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell
Touch your eyes, nose, or mouth if your hands are not clean
Watch this video from WHO.int
There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat coronavirus disease (COVID-19). People may need supportive care to help them breathe.
If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. You can relieve your symptoms if you:
- rest and sleep
- keep warm
- drink plenty of liquids
- use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
If you develop a fever, cough, and have difficulty breathing, promptly seek medical care. Call in advance and tell your health provider of any recent travel or recent contact with travelers
Dr. Salman Bajwa
MBBS, RMP, FCPS (Peds)
Please share this article as much as you can to help propagating this useful information.
It is important that you are staying home. #StayHome and if your child is not feeling well, please consult online with Dr Saman Bajwa.
This article will be updated continuously with more helpful information regarding symptoms, prevention and treatments of #Coronavirus. Keep visiting and sharing this regularly.